On Longing




Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss.
This is an image of my brother and I in highschool. Now we both go to college and dont see eachother often.  This photo brings me alot of nostalgia because it reminds me of all the time i used to spend with Felix that I now don't.




The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale.

This is an image I took in a castle in Munich. You can clearly see how large the room is just by looking at how little the people in the photo appear. 




The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body.
This is a photo of me taking a picture at a castle in Germany. By taking pictures of the places I visited, I took back with me my own souvenir of that place which I can go back and see the personal experience I had three. 




The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated.
I visited Spain over the summer and I loved it but I also did get really home sick. Now that I am home I miss Spain and would love to go again soon. 




Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experiences.
I bought a coffee cup from the stand in Prague and every time I drink out that cup I can remember the market perfectly. It is a perfect moment from this experience.

Comments